Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Peak performance in the face of fear


It’s white knuckle time in high school sports.  Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) playoffs begin this week.  Some teams will over-achieve.  Some will disappoint.  The mental aspects of the game are often the difference.

My daughter’s water polo team from St. Ignatius College Prep (SI) went to the Central Coast Section finals last year by virtue of a major upset in the semifinal round.  With many returning players, we have high hopes again this year.  However, we are likely to face the number one seed, Sacred Heart Prep, in the semifinals.   Can we pull off another upset this year?

It is a daunting challenge for sure but the hardest part is not in pool (or on the field or court).  The hardest part is facing our fears, individually and as a team.  Fearful thoughts become excuses not to do our best.  “We just don’t have all the pieces this year.”  “We’re not in good enough shape.”  “We should have had more Saturday practices.”  “They have 4 ODP players.”

Personally, I am facing a similar challenge with fear, uncertainty and doubt.  I left my previous employer four months ago and have yet to find my next big opportunity.  It is likely to take another 2-3 months.  It stinks being on the sidelines when you don’t want to be.   “When will I work again?”  “The longer I am out, the harder it will be to get back in.”  “Are my best days behind me?”

For many, these are anxious times.  “I can’t pay my bills.” “I might lose my home.”  “I am letting my family down.”

Elizabeth Gilbert, author of the phenomenal bestseller Eat, Pray, Love, spoke about this anxiety on TED.   She has suffered severely in this regard even to the point of throwing out a completed book because of the fear of failure.   It is a beautiful, insightful speech about fear and creativity and I highly recommend it.  Seth Godin exposes “The Resistance” in Linchpin.  He explains the function of the amygdala in the human brain as the part dedicated to our fight or flight instincts.  The lizard brain, as he calls it, takes over when we are angry or afraid and tries to protect us from life threatening risks but also sabotages our greatest endeavors.  Some of you will remember the Inner Game of Tennis in the mid-seventies, one of the first books about the mental side of peak performance.  It talks about the importance of the relationship between “Self 1” that can be commanding, insulting and cruel and “Self 2.”  “Move your feet this time.  Dammit, keep your wrist firm.   Follow through.  Don’t blow it.”

I’ve been reflecting on my own experience with these recurring inner battles between fear and doubt on the one hand and peak performance on the other.  The following ten tips are a synthesis of my experience as an Olympic athlete and investment banker.  
1.     Name your fears.  Writing them down calls the phantom out like waking up takes the horror out of a bad dream.
2.     Take care of yourself.  Eat well.  Get enough sleep. 
3.     Prepare physically and mentally.  Practice hard.  Study your opponent’s strengths and weaknesses.
4.     Add an unexpected element to your game plan.
5.     Consider your teammates, work colleagues, family – those who depend on you.  We are social beings and find a higher calling in our obligations to each other than to ourselves.
6.     Relax.  Take a deep breath, in through your nose, out through your mouth.  Listen to music.  Chew gum.  You can only play at the highest level if you are relaxed.  For Giants fans, channel Tim Lincecum.
7.     Go for it.  Play with passion.  Make things happen.  Take smart risks and don’t be afraid of mistakes.  Let your natural genius flow.
8.     Trust yourself, your teammates and your coach.  Expect and encourage the best from all.
9.     Expect the unexpected.  Address problems that come up and adjust.  (This is the corollary to #4)
10. Never, never, never, never give up.

10 comments:

  1. Dave, I love your post and all ten of your great points! #2, #5, #7 and #9 particularly resonate for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily. I had fun putting this together and am glad this resonates for you. Thanks also for your encouragement to start blogging - you inspire me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dave! I'm glad Lee forwarded this to me. Your insights are so timely and inspiring for me right now on so many levels. Sending good thoughts for finding the right next big thing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked it, Bonnie. It is rewarding to know it touched you. Hello to Lee and the kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, Nice post. The mental aspect is under emphasized and totally neglected in almost all the sports and this is very helpful. Milind Bedekar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear from you, Milind. I also think the mental aspect of sport (or even the broader scope of performance) are frequently under-emphasized. I was very fortunate as a young athlete, particularly with a couple of coaches in high school and college, to be introduced to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, you wrote about my personal challenge over the past year! Am reading Emmett Fox's The Sermon on the Mount right now. Here's an apt quote:
    "The truth is that the whole of our life's experience is but the outer expression of inner thought....our lives are just the result of the kind of thoughts we have chosen to hold."
    I'll add to your list:
    Set small, incremental goals for yourself every day. It might take awhile to achieve your ultimate objective, and it is important to be able to celebrate accomplishments along the way.

    and

    Prayers and meditation.

    I'll say some for you, my friend. All the best, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, thanks for sharing this very wise quote. I'd love to discuss this with you further and consider the role of external influences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I really love your quote and am copying it and printing it up to keep in front of me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks David fun to read. But make sure you have time to enjoy yourself though !

    ReplyDelete